Our Team Provides:
- AYA-specific resources around finances, work, school and emotional support
- Help with issues like fertility preservation, sexual health and function and contraception
- One-on-one support and counseling
- Programs and events for patients
- Connections with other AYAs
- Recommendations for clinical trials and treatment protocols
- AYA survivorship care
- Care coordination and connection to other UNC cancer support services
- Palliative care support such as symptom management, planning for the future, understanding prognosis, and coping with uncertainty.
Learn more about the services and care we provide for our patients
“Cancer and cancer treatment can take away a lot of control. People’s schedule, physical abilities, and mental health can all be affected or limited by cancer treatment. One of my main goals as a social worker is to help people find ways to maintain as much autonomy as possible over their medical care and their lives. This is so important in our teens, twenties, and thirties, when we are all working on building a life that lines up with our goals and values.”
Our Team Is Present:
We come to YOU! We will work with you and your team by seeing you when you’re already at the hospital. We can see you in the hospital, in the infusion clinic, or during your other appointments.
We see you in our AYA survivorship clinic. You will keep seeing your cancer team and see us in our survivorship clinic once a year. Life after treatment can be a difficult time of transition: transition to new schedules, to new stressors, to new freedoms, and to possible effects of treatment. Many of these transitions are specific to you as an AYA patient.
In the survivorship clinic, our team will support you in navigating this time of life as an AYA patient. Such support may look different for each patient; coordination of scans and medical tests, consultation on psychosocial concerns, and referral to other providers are among the many focuses of our clinic. Through the survivorship clinic, our program will work with you to ensure that you are able to approach your life after treatment with support, guidance, and individualized care.
This is a clinic where you need to make an appointment with us. Contact us to learn how to get connected with our survivorship clinic.
Click the button above to download an example of our clinic’s Survivorship Care Plans.